We all loves neat and clean houses. But keeping your homes dirt free requires require rigorous and tiresome cleaning which requires your time, hard-work and patience. You have to wipe, mop and wash away all the dirt. It is due to these reasons, vacuum cleaners were manufactured. A good vacuum cleaner can make an arduous task of cleaning our houses a bearable one. To fulfill our cleaning needs buying the vacuum cleaner for our specific needs, seems to be the right option. But before choosing one, you must understand its importance in our daily life.
Vacuum Cleaner History
For something as mundane as a home vacuum cleaner, it has a surprisingly long and colorful history. The first attempt at a mechanical cleaner stretches as far back as 1599, which long predates any electrical power. Mechanical power was still the thing as late as 1860, when the devices were mostly known as carpet sweepers.
With the turn of the 20th century, things start to get interesting, when the first motorized cleaners began to arrive. Yet, even then, not all were small, portable units used by the owners or domestic help. Much as we still use liquid carpet cleaning services today, vendors would use horse-drawn carts carrying a gasoline-powered model. Long hoses reached inside the home and the dirt was literally hauled away.
By 1907, though, hand-pushed vacuum cleaners really came into their own. Hoover backed an invention by James Spangler that formed the type of machine we all recognize today. It sported a cloth filter bag, cleaning attachments, and a fan driven by an electric motor. It would be a little over ten years before the final piece – the beater bar – joined the lineup. Disposable bags came along in the early 1920s, later used inside the first upright cleaner in 1926.
For many years, though there were improvements in filter technology, motors, and more, the basic design changed little. Then, in the 1980s along came Dyson to revolutionize the whole idea. More than just bagless models (others made those, as well), it sported cyclonic technology that separated dirt from air using high-speed centrifugal forces.
Things You Should know about Vacuum Cleaner
When looking for a new vacuum cleaner, it can be hard to know what will be the best vacuum cleaner for you. Today, you must choose between many options, such as an upright or canister, bagged or bagless, and a large array of options. Vacuum cleaner also varies a lot between different models and types. They can range from Rs 2500 to Rs 40,000. Mid-priced vacuum cleaners usually offer the best combination of performance and value, although it’s the more expensive models, loaded up with the powerful and latest technology, which give the very best carpet cleaning. Some low-cost vacuums compare favourably with pricier models, but generally the cheaper models are better suited to cleaning hard floors.
Types of Vacuum Cleaner
There are basically four types of vacuum cleaner available on the market. They are
- Upright Vacuum Cleaners
- Canister Vacuum Cleaners
- Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
- Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
Upright Vacuum Cleaners
The upright cleaner is the most popular vacuum cleaner that is used inside of the home. The name of this vacuum cleaner is derived from its ability to stand in an upright position. Uprights are best for cleaning homes that predominantly feature carpet, as a brush combs the carpet pile to lift trodden in dirt. This type of cleaners generally have a larger capacity compare to other vacuum cleaners and hence you don’t need to clean them as often. Upright vacuum cleaners are more suitable for those with lower back pain, as less bending is required.
- Are often easier to store
- Are generally easier to control
- Make use of a brush bar, which helps remove dirt trodden into carpets
- Are ideal for cleaning large areas
- Generally heavier, which makes the vacuum cleaner harder to push and lift
- Can be more difficult to manoeuvre in space restricted areas
- Revolving cleaning head is less suitable for hard floors
Canister Vacuum Cleaners
A canister vacuum consists of a long wand that is attached to a canister by a flexible hose. They are usually lighter compare to upright cleaners. A canister vacuum consist of a engine, filter and dust bags. It has wheels in order to be dragged by the user. They are more expensive than upright vacuum cleaners, but provide a quieter cleaning experience. Canister vacuums are especially effective on hard surfaces, and prevent dirt scattering that may be a problem with some upright vacuum cleaners.
- Since there is no limitation to the size of the engine, canister vacuum cleaners are more powerful than upright vacuum cleaners. They have better suction and flow-rate, which means an easier and faster cleaning, especially for bare floors.
- Compact and lightweight, making them ideal for toting up and down stairs
- They have a better maneuverability
- Makes less noise
- It is not suitable for those who have lower back pain, as you need to bend over more often when using this type of vacuum cleaner.
- As you are required to disassemble the cleaner when storing it, this means that you must also assemble it again every time you use it.
- It’s more expensive.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
A handheld vacuum is a small appliance that many people use along with an upright vacuum cleaner. The compact size and portability makes it easy to clean small spills and access hard to reach areas, such as stairs, corners, and car interiors. Hand held vacuum cleaners are an alternative to the larger and heavier upright vacuums. They also cost much cheaper than their heavier counterparts.
Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
A Robotic vacuum cleaner also known as robovac, is an autonomous robotic vacuum cleaner that has intelligent programming and a limited vacuum cleaning system. It is a compact, computerized vacuum cleaner that automatically guides itself around your home. Like a conventional cleaner, it picks up dirt with spinning brushes and a vacuum. There’s a side-mounted, flailing brush that pushes dirt underneath the machine and, once there, two more counter-rotating brushes pick up the dirt and direct it toward the powerful vacuum, which sucks it away into a little storage bin.
The best vacuum cleaner doesn’t always mean expensive, though there are many great models on the higher-end if you are looking to splurge. Here are some of the top vacuum cleaners available in India.
The Bissell 1132E 1500-Watt Vacuum and Steam Cleaner is an unusual steam mop that has a built-in vacuum cleaner. It is a cleaner that can vacuum and steam at the same time. The Steam Cleaner provides an essentially perfect amount of moisture for you not to worry about water getting through cracks and causing damage, while the vacuum is easily powerful enough to suck up the crumbs, dust, and hair which gathers. The cleaner weights about 4.4 kg which is not light. It comes with some nice extras – scents, filters, and a high and low powered option for the steam, and while the cleaner is little pricey, it’s a wonderful piece of kit for houses with hard floors – and will save you money, space, time, and effort than trying to use multiple items. To use the Vac & Steam, fill the water container, switch on the unit and let it heat up. The controls in particular are very easy to use. For steam cleaning, simply choose low or high output, and hold down the hand trigger to produce steam. The vacuum setting can be used either on its own or with the steam function.
- Save time by vacuuming debris and steaming hard floors at the same time
- Sanitise with steam, using just water to eliminate 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria
- Easy to use with easy touch digital controls, 5-way adjustable handle and quick-release mop pad tray
- Add scent to your cleaning with included spring breeze fragrance discs
- Anti-calc filter
- 380ml water tank
- Power: 1350/1500 watts; Operating Voltage: 220-240 volts
The Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik is simply great for multi-purpose cleaning. It is a one step solution that functions as a stick vacuum, an easy lift off hand vacuum, and a utility vacuum – all in one. It is lightweight in design that allows portability. This is simply great for moving it around fast. It is a 16-foot corded and bagless vacuum that’s super lightweight at about 1.8kg. This stick vacuum cleaner is perfect for rugs and hard floors, and it features an easy lift off hand vac. Just detach the hand vac and you are ready for dust, dirt and crumbs on furniture, counters, shelves, upholstery and drapes.
- 3-in-1 vacuum cleaner – a stick vac, handheld vac, and utility vac
- Handheld unit detaches easily from the larger unit
- Features an onboard crevice tool
- Convenient on/off switch
- Smooth-rolling wheels and convenient cord wrap
- Lightweight design for comfortable carrying
- Removable and easy dust cup
This vacuum cleaner has a bag full indicator that indicates when the dust bag is full and has to be cleaned, negating the need to otherwise keep checking. Additionally, this vacuum cleaner has a powerful 1200W motor that is powerful enough to suck every last piece of dust, giving you a clean and dust-free home. Furthermore, the Eureka Forbes 1200 Watt vacuum cleaner has a wheeled design making it highly portable.
- Dust bag full indicator
- Automatic Cord Winder: Easy to use and store
- Suction control on handle to control the airflow
- Comfortable Operation: Easy to use foot operated power on-off and chord winder switch
- Warranty: 1 year on product
- Power: 1000 watts; Operating voltage: 230 volts
This exceptional lightweight stick vacuum cleaner effortlessly converts from an upright into a corded hand stick vacuum cleaner allowing you to easily vacuum your car and other hard to reach places. It has a 12-volt motor, which is more than enough for small messes around your home. It is also easy to use, swivel steering moves easily wherever you want to go without having to constantly move back and forth to change directions or lift up the vacuum cleaner.
- Lightweight and Compact
- Cyclonic action with Micro Particle Filtration
- Easy Empty Dirt Cup
- Multi Surface Cleaning
- Upright and Hand vac in 1 machine
The Eureka Forbes Trendy Nano vacuum cleaner has been designed to help you clean your home quickly and efficiently. This 1000 Watt vacuum cleaner has an attractive, ultramodern design that will stand out no matter where you keep it. The Eureka Forbes handheld vacuum cleaner features a whole host of accessories that simplify your cleaning process. For starters, it has a floor and carpet brush that removes dirt from hard floors and carpets. It also includes a dual purpose brush and nozzle that helps you get into cracks and crevices as well as helps you to easily clean softer fabrics. Thanks to the flexible hose and extension tubes, which are provided with the Trendy Nano Vacuum Cleaner from Eureka Forbes, you can easily target hard to reach spots.
- Dust bag full indicator
- 5 stage filtration process
- 2 in 1 multifunctional small brush shown in the image is part of the vacuum cleaner and placed on the back side near the cord winding button
- Portable and stylish vacuum cleaner
- Suction control on handle to control the airflow
Features To Look When Buying Vacuum Cleaner
Once you have decided which type of vacuum cleaner is right for you, you can start looking at finer details and features of the particular vacuum cleaner.
With the latest innovation, the vacuum cleaner industry is expanding day by day. Every now and then companies introduce some of the best vacuum cleaners that have unique designs. Vacuum cleaners were, primarily, using bags for dust storage. They required less maintenance, provide better dirt storage and you were not exposed to any kind of waste matter. Nowadays, bagless vacuum cleaners have gained a lot of fame. Such vacuum cleaners do not require constant purchase of dirt bags. The market has also introduced cordless, wet/dry and handheld vacuum cleaners. These do not require any socket for power purposes. It is important for you to check your convenience before opting for any design. Factors like weight, height, placement of buttons, handles and length of cords are also crucial and are specific to each design. Your preference will determine the right match for you.
Try and look out for brands that are trustworthy and reliable. After sales services is one of the best ways of judging which brand is actually good to buy.
How and where you plan to use your vacuum cleaner also helps you decide what kind is best for you. If you have a large carpeted area you may want to go for an upright vacuum cleaner and if you have a hard surface flooring and stairs to clean then a canister may be a better choice.
Actually these aren’t always required. Before buying a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, you should consider buying a vacuum with a micron filter. They have a good performance and they are cheaper then their HEPA counterparts. But make sure to get rid of the conventional filter if you have allergic conditions or asthma. Conventional filter simply suck in the particles and blow them back into the air through the back exhaust.
Other useful extras
- Auto cord rewind: usually found on cylinder cleaners. Great for storage and convenience.
- Full indicator: a useful warning for when your machine is getting full.
- Capacity: worth checking your cleaner’s dust capacity. Usually between 4 and 6 litres. The higher the capacity, the less time you spend changing the bag or emptying the drum.
- Weight–Lighter cleaners may be easier to handle and manoeuvre
- Tools: telescopic extension tubes and stair cleaning hoses are particularly useful.
Bag Or Bagless?
Uprights and canisters have models for both cases: some use bags, others use a bin to collect debris. You can find pros and cons in both cases. Bagged vacuum cleaners will handle more dirt, and won’t let go as much dust back into the air when you clean them as bin vacuums will. They also typically include some sort of component which informs the user as soon as the bag is nearly full. Bagless vacuums save some cash in the long haul, given that you aren’t required to purchase bags. Instead, they use filters, which will require maintenance. Periodically you should also replace these filters. In cases where the user has allergies or some sort of hypersensitivity, bagless vacuums might bring problems to them because of the particles released into the air during these maintenance sessions. Doing this job outdoors, if possible, helps with that.
- 27 Apr 2017Invest In A Carrot Juicer Today Your Body Will Thank You For It
- 20 Mar 2017Best Air Fryers in India
- 08 Mar 2017Best Induction Cooktops in India
- 03 Mar 2017Best Sandwich Maker in India
- 28 Feb 2017Best Vacuum Cleaners in India